Many of you have already started the school year, but tomorrow marks my first day of school! I have been so busy with Rush that I haven’t really had time to get in the proper mindset to hit the books. I think it’s essential to start off on the right foot; it can set the tone for the entire year. So even if you have already crossed the academic threshold (the kids across town—USC—are already taking midterms!) here’s a few tips on how to feel happy not only on your first, but every day at school.
How to Start School with a Smile:
1. Be prepared. Have your books, notebooks, school supplies, and everything that you may need ready—most importantly, a planner! Feeling flustered or forgetful in the classroom will take away your confidence.
2. Look great. This doesn’t mean that you have to have a whole new wardrobe, but wear clothes that make you feel well-presented and prepared. When you look good, chances are, you’ll feel good. And if you tend to sleep in, set out your outfit the night before so that you won’t have to try on 20 outfits at 7:59 am.
3. Get in the mindset. Think about the things you love in school. Maybe it’s the opportunity to spend more time with your friends, learn about a new subject, or participate in your favorite club on campus.
4. Like your teachers. Sure, we’ve all had a Miss Trenchbull, (for all of you Matilda fans) but try to find something special about your teachers. Maybe they’re not Miss Congeniality, but perhaps they are incredibly intelligent or they challenge you to be a better student.
5. Smile at people. When walking around campus, have a pleasant look on your face. You don’t have to smile at everyone you encounter, but looking happy yourself will motivate people to feel happy as well. Also, you’ll notice that you’ll feel happier yourself when you’ve got a little skip to your step!