Surprise! Some people love that word, other people hate it. I happen to love it but I don’t hear it very often. Unfortunately I have a knack for finding out about surprises…so much for the secret Sweet 16 party my mom planned (But I still put on my best game face with the open jaw and wide eyes that are supposed to read, “I’m SO surprised!”). It’s not like I hunt for surprises, they just seem to reveal themselves to me (Right?). But last night, I was genuinely surprised.
My surprise last night left me smiling all night. I couldn’t have been happier and I even went to bed with a grin on my face. Surprises offer us an exponential amount of joy because they are an unexpected expression of thoughtfulness. To know that someone was thinking of you, and wanting to make you happy is such a delightful surprise. It doesn’t always have to be a lavish gift or an extravagant all-expense paid trip; even a simple note can make someone’s day. Here’s a list of ways you can surprise someone today and make them smile in return!
Surprises that Make Someone Smile:
1. Bring someone a meal. When someone’s having a busy day, has a family tragedy, or is ill, it says so much when you offer someone a cooked dinner or lunch. Just like the Pillsbury dough-boy says, “My heart to yours!”
2. Give a picture frame with a picture of you and that person in it. Studies show that looking back on pictures will make you instantly happier as you recall the fun memories you had with that person. Why do you think we spend hour(s) a day on Facebook looking at pictures?
3. Write a note. This is the cheapest and easiest way to let someone know you’re thinking of them, but it can be priceless if done well. Take this as an opportunity to really share how you feel; there’s no such thing as a “cliché” phrase when it comes to these notes.
4. Get them a personalized gift. Perhaps they’re obsessed with Betty Boop or if you’re like me, they collect owls. You don’t have to hunt for these little treasures, but keep an eye out for them when you’re shopping. You may find the perfect gift for that special person when you least expect it.
5. Check in on an old friend: It’s always a surprise to get a call or a Facebook comment from someone you haven’t talked to in a while. Reestablish a connection to let someone know you’re thinking of them.
And if you’re wondering what my special surprise was, let’s just say that it was wrapped in my favorite color of blue!