We often don’t appreciate our health until it’s gone. Coming from someone who has a cold right now, I know how easy it can be to take our bodies for granted. Perhaps you get angry or frustrated when you get sick, but could it be possible to still be happy? It’s certainly not easy but there are still ways to find the sunshine if you allow yourself to be patient.
I know that getting sick is never convenient; there’s usually something you have to miss that sets you back a pace or two. (Like the biggest rivalry football game last night?) But if we see the Sunny Side to our sickness, it might actually be a blessing in disguise.
Here’s how to be feel sunny even when you’re sick:
1. Realize this is an excuse to rest: Your body needs a break. Allow yourself the time to nap, catch up on your favorite shows, and just relax without guilt.
2. Be patient with yourself: Don’t get angry that you’re sick. It’s only frustrating or disappointing if you allow it to be. Realize that there is always an alternative and that people are much more accommodating when you’re sick. It’s a legitimate excuse.
3. Let people help you: If someone offers to bring soup over or someone wants to check in on you, don’t deny the company even though it can be hard to accept favors sometimes. Let yourself be taken care of.
4. Don’t ignore yourself: Sure, it can be easy to try and push aside your symptoms but you have to think of the future. It’s often better to rest now than feel sicker later.
5. Take care of yourself: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! And stay warm, rested, and peaceful.