I wish I could be one of the lucky sinners this weekend. Just some innocent fun—a few slot machines here, a few days by the pool there. Sure, my concept of “sin” is nothing in comparison to some of the actual sin that goes down in Las Vegas, but man, a weekend in the strip sun sounds delightful. I won’t deny that I’m a little jealous—over 500 UCLA students are headed to the dessert for the long weekend. In my youthful innocence of 20 years and 104 days (not that I’m counting), I’m stuck at home sipping virgin strawberry daiquiris, sitting by my unheated pool, and dancing with the lights on with my roommates. Not that I’m complaining. It’s still going to be a fabulous weekend full of studying and cat cuddling, but I still wish just a little that I was waking up in Vegas.
So no matter where you are for this long Memorial Day weekend let’s make the most of it:
1. Spend time with friends: Whether you’re hitting up the new Aria nightclub or watching Hangover II this weekend, don’t go solo. Not only will you get a few suspicious glances, especially if you’re a guy (no one likes a CRG on the dance floor—creepy random guy), you’ll also feel lonely as you see everyone escapade with their gal pals. Grab your own buddy.
2. Get a tan: I don’t normally encourage this (thank you, American Cancer Society), but it’s healthy for your happiness level to get some rays in every day. That doesn’t mean that you should show up for class on Tuesday giving the tomato from Veggie Tales a run for his money. Take it easy.
3. Try out a new food: Whether you’re traveling or not, it’s always fun to get adventurous with your appetite. Last night I ate soft shell crab. Delicious? I think not. But crunchy? Yes—Hakuna Matata. And for those of you lucky enough to devour the crab legs at all of those buffets—eat up, my friends. Eat up.
4. Wake up: Don’t waste the entire day sleeping in. Studies have shown that this isn’t good for our chemistry and besides, why miss out on a beautiful sunrise or a morning jog? I know that all you Vegas vagabonds are laughing at this right now, but seriously, you’re missing out on Ziegfried and Roy’s cat kingdom. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
5. Head home on time: Enjoy that Vegas traffic, suckers. I’m not bitter or anything.
I hope you have a terrific weekend full of laughter, friendship, and joy. Whether you’re already on it or about to have it (and no, I’m not referring to anything PMS related)—you deserve a break!
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook