Happy Father’s Day everyone! I hope you’re celebrating your dad today—either with him in person or in spirit. I’m with my dad this morning and I’ve actually been quite excited for this day. I baked the little Pillsbury cinnamon rolls that he used to make me when I was a kid and I got him a classic UCLA shirt to top it off (that tends to be the typical gift for this phase in my life).
My dad has been a huge positive influence in my life and I like to think I’ve been given at least a small dose of his positive energy and humor. In honor of my dad today, I thought I’d share my 10 favorite memories with my dad:
1. Dancing together: My dad introduced me to joy of dance. From being my pas de deux partner when I was four, to dancing the waltz at the Debutante Ball—we love to shake things up on the dance floor.
2. Tide pooling: My dad is the master hunter. Every year when we visit the beach house we create a mini aquarium and my dad always finds (and feeds) the treasures we collect. We’ve had starfish, nudibranches, and even octopi before!
3. Getting Kiko together: We drove all the way to San Diego to get our Siamese kitten. The best drive home ever.
4. Sunday mornings: It is the time when our family comes together before we start our day. My dad always tells the best jokes—every day is a good day when it starts with a laugh.
5. Motorcycling on PCH: What a thrill! I was holding on for dear life but it was the best time.
6. Exercising together: My dad is a gym and now yogi guru. He always challenges me to do better whether it comes to athletics or life.
7. Christmas mornings: My dad makes every holiday more fun.
9. Any vacation: We’ve been to Paris, Colorado, Hawaii, and Alaska among other places. None of these places would be nearly as magical if my dad wasn’t along.
10. Scuba diving in the pool: My dad is a big scuba diver and he gave me a mini course in our pool when I was little. Now I have to do the real thing!
I hope you’ll honor your dad today. Tell him that you love him and show him that you care. Happy father’s day everyone!
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook