2013 is upon us! Before you start thinking it’s unlucky, prepare for your best year yet. I have a good feeling about it (and not just because my lucky number is 13). It’s all about starting the year with the right intentions and keeping those intentions present at the forefront of your mind throughout the year. Resolutions are only good if you’re resolute about carrying them out and making them a reality.
I hope you’ve had a wonderful 2012 and that you’ve taken time to reflect on it. What were your happiest memories from it? Where can you make some improvements this upcoming year? Make this new year count.
So here are some Sunny Suggestions to start our year off right:
1. Maintain a mindset of gratitude: We have so much to be thankful for on a daily basis—people who love us and support us, friends who make us laugh, and simple joys that add so much richness to our lives. Don’t forget how these people and things make you feel; cherish them while you have them.
2. Plan some adventures: Go beyond your comfort zone this year! No more excuses. If you have something on your bucket list, go out and do it! I have been talking about going to Italy for years and this is the year! I’m not the most adventurous chicken in the coop but even the most timid hens have to go out and fly sometime. This is my time.
3. Keep a kind mouth: It’s time for the gossip to go out and the compassion to come in. Let’s be thoughtful about our words and remember that their impact can last much longer than the when they are said. Give compliments, not cruelty this year.
4. Laugh more: Keep a lighthearted spirit this year. There is plenty enough seriousness in this world. While there is a time and place for that, we need more positivity and laughter in our lives. Let your guard down a little with your friends and live it up.
5. Set some goals: There’s nothing more exciting than making plans for the year and seeing them come true. Make a list of what you’d like to accomplish this year and make it visible so that you can see it every day. Even if these goals can seem huge, take baby steps every day to get there.
6. Be selfless: Let’s focus on giving back more than self-gratification. Find a charity you want to work with this year and make your family and friends a bigger priority. If you know someone who is suffering, be there for them. Visit loved ones in the hospital, send thoughtful cards, BE THERE.
7. Shop less, save more: If you’re like me, online shopping may have become a problem in 2012. Instead of browsing the newest styles, let’s save what we’ve earned and use it for a more meaningful happiness. Learn about new investments, donate to charity, or use that money to reach your goals—perhaps to travel?
I hope these ideas spark some inspiration for you. This can be your best year yet, you just have to make it happen!
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook