A few questions to start your day:
1. How often do you make eye contact with people?
2. How often do you smile at people, even if they’re a stranger?
3. How often do you hug your friends?
4. How often do you speak sincerely?
5. How often do you have a friendly conversation with someone you don’t know very well?
I think we should strive to meet each of these questions on a daily basis. What it all comes down to is being a nice, friendly person. I think if we all lived with these 5 questions in mind, the world would be a much happier place. It’s simple really; be kind to others regardless of whether they’re your best friend, a stranger, or even an “enemy.” (However, I don’t think we should give anyone a label as an enemy, it’s not good for our wellbeing).
I know the Golden Rule says to treat others as you would like to be treated. That’s all fine and dandy but if we’re going to take it a step further, we have to treat others as they SHOULD be treated, with the mindset that everyone can be a good person. We shouldn’t treat others with kindness only hoping that we’ll have the favor returned. True kindness is being kind for kindness’ sake alone.
So I encourage you to answer these five questions with a resounding YES to them all by the end of the day. You can do it!
The Sunny Girl, Lauren Cook